Tuesday September 16th, 2008

The exercise:

Wow, 100 days in a row of writing practice. This has been so much more rewarding than I could have ever expected, I can't wait to get to one year of uninterrupted postings.

As a celebration of sorts for hitting the century mark, I'd like to invite everyone who reads this little blog of mine to post their take on today's writing exercise - it would mean quite a bit to me and it should be fun.


So here she be - today's exercise is: write a poem about the strangest thing you've ever seen.

Mine:

The strangest thing that I ever did see
Was at a hostel in northern NZ.
On a sunny day just after Christmas
I had the oddest honor to witness
A wedding most strange, with four open bars -
A joining of two used backpacker cars!

A Swede drove the Lada, a Brit the Ford,
The guests gathered 'round to watch and record;
The groomsmen wore aloe vera leaf ties,
The bridesmaids had sincere tears in their eyes.
A hostel guest volunteered to preside,
Though we weren't quite sure which car was the bride.

It was a day I could never forget:
No objections were raised, we were all set;
Loving vows were exchanged with engine roars
And in a sight I'd never seen before
The ceremony concluded like this:
The cars lurched forward for a bumper kiss!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are you doing up at 7am to post? Dude, I'm not even kidding- stay in bed!!!

Marc said...

I wrote it around midnight and scheduled it to post at a reasonable time. Trust me, when this went up I was quite soundly asleep.

Now post your poem, slacker. You've been reading for ages, toss something up here!

Anonymous said...

Well I have to say that nothing compares
With the thing I saw once when chasing hares
The hares turned round and laughed at me
And wiggled their bums with a ''hee hee hee''

Then all of a sudden, a caveman appeared.
He had gold rings in his long blue beard.
He invited me to kiss his nose,
But I calmly declined, and stamped on his toes.

Then the carabinieri arrested me
And sentenced me to ten years in a tree.
And if you believe that load of old rot
I'd like a hit of whatever you've got.

Marc said...

Hahaha, awesome.

Anonymous said...

There is a train station
Between two countries
It stands empty
The sign says Pyeongyang
But that is a place
Restricted from the outside world
No train has ever passed through here
And perhaps never will
This place exists
Only as a symbol
Of the dreams of reunification of a people

Anonymous said...

I can’t guarantee
But let’s just assume
There was this one time,
Marc was up before noon.

I expect he was dazed
And slightly confused.
The look on his face
Said, “I’m not amused.”

What would it take
To wake him so early?
As if back from the dead
And at least twice as surly.

It was probably clear
Though I wouldn’t admit
That I was at fault
My life - soon forfeit!

Apparently he,
While lying in bed
Could not help but notice
As I danced on his head.

Says I, "You're awake!"
Still he remained mute.
"Let's fire up WoW.
I need help with phat l00t!"

The rest of the story
Involves violence by bat.
Shortly thereafter,
Marc moved in with Kat.

-Dr00

Marc said...

Oh my God that was so awesome.

Seriously.

Almost crying with laughter.

We need to write stuff together again, this made me miss that page you had in university.

Anonymous said...

You are having so much fun. It's great to see people being playful and creative with words.

Congratulations on 100th, Marc!

Margo (down as anonymous because I can't remember my password; it's too early in the moring.....)