Monday November 24th, 2008

The exercise:

Inspired by my morning, today's writing prompt is: icy arrival.

Mine:

I tip-toed down the front steps in the dark, early morning cold. Each step down brought me closer to earth, closer to safety.

Would the grip of my shoes fail me? Would the slightest slip lead to a bruised hip, a twisted knee, a crack of the head? Such comfortless thoughts were my only companions on that perilous descent.

It was a slippery slope I traversed as my nervous breath fought the cold off with steaming clouds that obscured my vision. Gentle, exploring steps prodded ice-covered wood; nothing could be trusted.

A final fragile step brought me to the bottom but my journey had just begun. Gleaming sidewalks and streets told me that ice's arrival was not restricted to my front porch.

No comments: