Tuesday December 31st, 2019

The exercise:

Write two haiku about: rebirth.

As 2019 draws to a close, I just wanted to take the chance to look back on the yearlong poems that Greg and I wrote over the course of this year's Saturdays.

Overall I'm pleased with the results. Number one: I actually stuck with it for the whole year. Not bad for something I more or less decided to do on the spur of the moment. Number two? My poem told a reasonably coherent story that came to a reasonably satisfying ending. And I only had a few weeks throughout the year where I was seriously concerned about whether or not that would happen.

Honestly, I didn't have an idea for the ending until Charlie showed up on June 29th, and that only solidified on August 3rd. I'm quite happy that I managed to steer the story home from there.

And I would be terribly remiss if I didn't give Greg top marks and all the credit for the work he did this year. While I certainly tried to make the weekly prompts general enough for him to work with, he was at a clear disadvantage all the way. That he incorporated each prompt into his tale so well and finished the year with such an excellent poem is indicative of his ability as a poet and storyteller.

Now, what shall next year have in store for us in the yearlong category?

You'll see soon enough.

But I will say that I put the theme into a note on my phone three years ago, so I'm excited to finally get to make use of it.

But first I need to finish dealing with this whole 'moving' thing.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Happy New Year! I hope you spent it celebrating, and not labelling boxes and packing children away ready for the move :)
Thank-you for your thoughts on this. I have to say, it never occurred to me that you might be writing the verses first and then setting the prompt; I thought almost all the way along that we were working with the same disadvantage! Still, it was a fun challenge, and as I've said elsewhere, I thought you did a most excellent job, Sir :)

Rebirth
"He's forty-one, miss.
He's too big to be rebirth'd."
The doctor looks pale.

"Just put him back in,"
She says determinedly. The
Screams are hers, not his.

Marc said...

Greg - Kat and I went out for a very nice dinner, while the kids were with her parents. We saved the bulk of the packing for the following two days :)

Yeah, I still feel bad about that but I honestly don't know how I would have done it otherwise. You made it work, obviously, but I don't think I could have come up with impartial prompts if I had tried.

That... is not what I was expecting. Perhaps what I *should* have expected, though...