Friday November 21st, 2008

The exercise:

Def Poetry Jam Friday would like to share with you Mr. Wyclef Jean's Immigrant.

Mine:

Knowing that Wyclef Jean was picked on in school is oddly comforting to me. I suppose it's a reminder that no matter what sort of crap you deal with in your youth, the adult world is a whole new deal and anything is possible.

Also, you have to respect a man that can incorporate a handspring back flip into a spoken word performance.

The situation in Haiti, however, is another story. How have we managed to not make things right there yet? And why won't those damn storms leave the poor place alone?

I'll leave you with my favorite Wyclef song.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

I forgot about that song. Thanks, nice to hear it; helped me to remember something about myself actually...

Anyways, I know relatively little about the situation in Haiti.

One thing i have come across is the fact that Haiti, which used to have native food products growing on its land, now imports the majority of its food from the USA. In other words, Haitians rely heavily on US companies to feed them. I'm not sure what Haiti's exports are.

Hmmm...it seems a country of people suffer so that a greedy few may prosper?

Marc said...

Music is a powerful force... I associate so many songs with individual memories. They're almost inseparable.