Friday October 13th, 2017

The exercise:

Write four lines of prose about: the after party.

Hard to believe tomorrow will be my last day on the job. Six months went by pretty dang quickly.

With all of my office cleanings behind me, I'll be spending the day giving the washrooms one last clean before all but three of them are locked up for the winter tomorrow night. It's past time, really, as all but a couple of them have hardly seen any use in the last couple of weeks.

Anyway. One final early morning wake up to go.

Good night!

Mine:

"Where are you off to?"

"Uh, the after party?"

"Our daughter just had her second birthday celebration - there is no after party."

"... I guess you didn't get the invite then."

2 comments:

Greg said...

I guess it makes sense that your six months should start with the opening of the toilets and end with the closing of them, but "washrooms" and "toilets" don't sound very grand. When you come to write the movie of your life you'll have to make them sound more sinister and exciting: Marc Aucoin and the Graveyard of Pisces sounds a lot better and leads into your dead-fish discoveries really well. Then clues there can lead you to the lobster boil in the park, and the six months can conclude with you staging a Batman-like raid on the people who wouldn't take good care of their dogs in public... :)
If you're thinking of writing a movie about your life, of course.
Hahaha, I think there are people out there with two-year-olds precocious to throw an after-party and not invite their parents, though I'm glad I don't know any of them. Thank-you for the laugh this morning!

The after party
"Oh darling, I'm so pleased I've been invited to Joshua's after party!" Madeleine swooped through the room, her gossamer clothing swirling around her trying to conceal that she'd gained rather more weight than she was comfortable with over the summer, and planted kisses on Irene's cheeks.
"Oh I'm so sorry," said Irene, "I had no idea you were out of favour." As Madeleine's face fell she continued, "the before-party is where everyone's at this season, sweetie."

Marc said...

Greg - well, I would read that. I'm not going to write it, so feel free :P

You're welcome :)

Ouch. That seems particularly cruel, inviting someone to something they think they've finally achieved, only to discover the princess is in another castle, as it were.

Nicely done!