Tuesday October 17th, 2017

The exercise:

Write two haiku about something that is: vicious.

Inspired by the wind in (and on the way home from) Penticton today. Those gusts whipping shreds of leaves and street dirt into my face can go screw themselves, thank you very much. The ones pushing the car around on the drive home can do the same.

Otherwise? It was a productive trip. Got some groceries. Did some clothes shopping for myself and the boys. Picked up something for Kat. And... applied for EI.

I've never even tried to get EI before, but I think now is the right time. It's been a long six months and the relief pool is not going to get me enough work to pay the bills. It is, however and hopefully, going to get me hours that will get me closer to having enough seniority to apply for internal job postings, so there's good reason to stick with it.

Ideally? I'll get a little break to recover and spend time with the kids (and write!) and then a full time position will come up with the town.

But if this helps us get through the next half a year and then I return to the caretaker contract that would be good too.

Mine:

Rumours swirled and curled
around her in the hallways,
so vile and untrue

*     *     *

The sign says Beware
of Dog but he looks so cute!
I'm sure he's just - ahhhhh!

4 comments:

Greg said...

EI sounds like a good idea, though I'm still suffering from the disappointment of this not being a pet hedgehog. Or six pet hedgehogs, given they're only small. Maybe a baker's dozen actually, to commemorate the bakery job. Your longer-term planning seems sound to me; I'd love it if you got enough writing done to get a book published and have that start bringing money in too, but that's got a lot more variables to it.
Hmm... have you considered farming hedgehogs?
Is the something for Kat a surprise? :)
I like your first haiku better today for the wonderful, Disney-like imagery you've conjured up. That said, the second one suits my dogs much better....

Vicious
Sclerotic plaques clog
Arteries; convulsions are
Violent... death nears

And remission is
God's reminder: you survive
Each day by His choice.

[That turned out a little bleaker than I was expecting, so I feel I ought to offset it a touch:

She's like an orange
with teeth: sweet but vicious. Do
not try kissing her.
]

Marc said...

Greg - oh, don't worry. This wasn't the 'more to come' I was talking about :)

That is, indeed, bleak. But also great. So... all good with me! But thank you for the lighter bonus one anyway, as I will never be upset with getting extra writing from you.

morganna said...

Small but fierce, she will
Take you out if you come near
Her wolverine den.

Marc said...

Morganna - any haiku about a wolverine is a good haiku in my books :)

I like how you've managed to sum her up so concisely here. I think we would all be wise to heed your warning!