Friday October 20th, 2017

The exercise:

Write four lines of prose about something: visceral.

Yeah, might as well keep it going.

Had both the boys with me in town this morning. Miles put on another show at the coffee shop while I tried (and eventually succeeded) to buy Max a hot chocolate. Had to drag him out of the kitchen three times.

Kat's parents had the boys for the afternoon, so I got some (awkward) laundry done and rested a bit. Why awkward? Our basement stairs are finally, finally being redone, but our basement is currently inaccessible. That's also where our washer and dryer are.

So I had to bring a basket of laundry up to Kat's parents house and use their machines. Hoping to be able to get back into our basement early next week.

Mine:

I'd apologize, but I don't think it's my fault - not really. There's no thought involved. Certainly no conscious choice being made.

Whenever I see his face I just start punching it.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I can see how the laundry would be awkward -- it's a little easier if it's your own parents, but it still feels like something that gets done - hmm, not exactly in private, but without help, I guess? The coffee shop sounds like fun, and clearly you need those child-reins for Max so that you can haul him back the first time, and then suspend him from a coat-stand the second :)
Washing child-reins along with underwear might make laundry-day awkward for different reasons though....
Haha, I've (almost) been there with your description today, and I remember being surprised at how automatic and strong the reaction was. Not a bad reaction, as I recall, but I didn't realise how little I liked the guy until then :) Great work on bringing back those memories!

Visceral
"VISCERAL for 135 points" said Maureen, setting the Scrabble tiles with a set of neat clicks. Angie stared at the board, her lips pursing and whitening, her eyes saccading across as she counted.
"That's the seventh V you've used," she said, "and I've got letters on my rack that aren't even letters, thank-you very much!"
"I'm not cheating," said Maureen quickly, "I told you at the start we were playing with the German Scrabble set today."

Marc said...

Greg - eh, it was more awkward in having to haul it up there, go back to take stuff out of the washer and put it into the dryer... only to find that the washer isn't done yet, so having to go back up again... anyway. It was a pain. Perhaps I should have just labelled it so.

I'm choosing to ignore your child-reins and underwear observation.

And, as always, any prompt response that involves Scrabble is a winner in my books. Also... I don't think I'd want to play against Maureen.