Saturday January 5th, 2019

The exercise:

Write a four line poem about: a robot and its master.

Or, if you're at least a little bit crazy, write the first four lines of a poem that will eventually be 208 lines long. And take you a year to write.

Greg, sometimes?

Sometimes I hate you.

For the record: I have no idea where mine is going. I only know where it begins.

Below.

Mine:

Unit 78-B-2M-6O
(Better known as Big Buddy)
Served its master very long and very well
(Though sometimes things got bloody...)

2 comments:

Greg said...

Hating me is normal, don't worry about it. For the record, I hate everybody. Equally though, there's no favouritism here :)
I'm really pleased to see that you've decided to pitch in with this, and I get the feeling you might have an idea of where the prompts will go, at least for a little while, and that should be fun. I have no idea, but Big Buddy put in me in mind straight away of the computer from our year-long expedition to Mars.... I definitely like the sound of him, and the jauntiness of the verse!

As for mine... well, if T.S. Eliot can do it then so can I.

A robot and its master
Madame Sosotris sniffs, the other-world
Sends messages: a robot comes, but what
That is escapes her. Tea-cups shatter — the
Robot has no master. A shadow forms.

Marc said...

Greg - hah :P

Oh no, I have no idea what's coming. I legitimately decided to embark on this ridiculous task on a whim. I'm sure I won't come to regret that decision, aaaaat all.

... and I just realized I'd forgotten about this nonsense when scheduling Saturday's prompt. I better go have another look at what I chose after I reply to this.

Ah, the Colony computer! Thank you for reminding me of that one :)

Ooh, I'm excited for this. 52 weeks worth of poetry in Madame Sosotris' world? Yes please.