Tuesday August 15th, 2017

The exercise:

Write two haiku about: sleep.

As hinted at in Monday's post, the smoke returned to the valley this morning. It's not as bad as it was before it left for a couple days, but it was still rather depressing to look out the window this morning and see the gray again.

Hopefully this visit will be short lived and the next departure will be lengthier. Much, much lengthier.

Back to work tomorrow. Those four days went quick.

As usual.

Mine:

She says I'll sleep when
I'm dead. Well, good news my dear:
that shouldn't take long...

*     *     *

Just need to keep my
eyes open... a little long..
I wake to neck pain.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I'm sorry to hear that the smoke is back. I'm trying to find a silver-lining for it, but it's tricky. I guess that all that carbon in the air will help purify your bloodstream when it gets into there... maybe? Or, better, you can get that barbecue flavour in all your food now just by eating outdoors :)
I can tell you're looking forward to work :-P
Hah, I like your first haiku better today. The second sounds like a true story (especially given that Monday's post was a touch late), but the first makes me smile for the casual malevolence!

Sleep
Hold the Sandman 'til
You're ready. Sleep is far too
Precious for demons.

None but mortals shall
Own dreams now. We can kill the
Sandman to be sure.

[Hypnos and Morpheus are the Gods of sleep and dreams respectively, though people seem to know Morpheus slightly better these days]

Marc said...

Greg - the only benefit I've noticed is that it keeps the temperatures a little cooler.

And yes, the second was inspired by real life events. That happen most nights. Glad you liked the first so much though :)

Hah, yes, slightly better indeed. I think I like your first best this week, but it's a close call. Plus they work so well together it's a little difficult to consider them separately.