Monday October 20th, 2008

The exercise:

Another workshop writing exercise: close your eyes and just listen. Where does each noise you hear take you? Pick one and go ahead and go there.

Mine:

The conductor clangs the bell at the end of the platform and hollers something in German. I think it's safe to assume it's the equivalent of "All aboard!" but not knowing the language makes it hard to be sure of anything.

I try to watch the other waiting passengers inconspicuously, to see what they do. I take my signals from actions these days, not words.

But no one is getting on the train. A man sits reading a newspaper in perfect stillness, the wind crinkling his paper the only audible indication of his existence; a couple are arguing behind me in a language I don't recognize, their words assault my ears.

What is going on? Are they waiting for another train or is this one pausing here for a while or... God, I hate not knowing the language.

I edge closer to the open compartment door in front of me, hoping to find a sign I can decipher. A destination would be wonderful - city names are a universal language. Well, most of the time. Lest I forget that incident on the way to Naples/Napoli.

The bell sounds again, the conductor hollers again. I swear under my breath and step up into the compartment. What's the worst that could happen? This is supposed to be an adventure, right? So be adventurous!

The door clangs shut behind me, the noise magnified by the small entrance way and the bare metal walls. I feel like the train is yelling at me - it could be a welcome, it could be a warning.

Typically German - always yelling but I'm never certain if the speaker is happy or mad or even indifferent. I really miss English on days like these.

No comments: