Sunday October 26th, 2008

The exercise:

At the workshop last weekend our final writing exercise was to write a poem (or something similar) with the theme (and repeating phrase) of 'I am from...' Ruth read us an example but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the author.

I shared what I wrote and it was suggested to me later that I should share it on my birthday in some form or another (I had mentioned that my birthday is today). I thought that was a very nice idea, so here it is with a few minor edits. Where are you from?

Mine:

I am from Laurie and Aggie,
Joseph and Mary.
I am from a Maritime farm
and streets filled with Jamaican charm.
I am from families of nine
and palm trees and pine.
I am from the nearest beach
and the mountains most out of reach.

I am from dinner together every night
and "Go outside and get some light",
from "There is no swearing in this house"
and "You're as quiet as a mouse."

I am from the Air Force
and the teachings of the How To Be A Man course.
I am from the Stay At Home Mom
and the fiercest storms and deepest calm.

I am from Catholic guilt
and the hands that made my bedroom quilt.
I am from the Island of Vancouver
where Snow Birds practiced their maneuvers.

I am from a high school that was filled with white,
where my tanned skin nearly led to fights.
I am from the music and words that move me,
from melting ice in black coffee.
I am from Canada but I do not skate,
from stoic masculinity but "are you really straight?"

I am from van Gogh's museum in Amsterdam,
from Guinness in the pubs of Ireland.
I am from the sinking streets of Venice,
from a Brazilian's unexpected kiss.
I am from the vineyards of New Zealand,
from the smiles of the girls of Japan.

I am from the waters and the trees
but none of this truly captures me.
I am from this and so much more
but I am who I am to my very core.

3 comments:

Olivia said...

nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc,

Really nicely done. I'm so glad you posted this. The name of the author of the poem I read is Mary Pipher, and it's from a book called "Writing to Change the World" (a somewhat grandiose title, but a humble, inspiring and lovely book).

I'm really impressed with your websites. Keep up the good work!

Marc said...

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for stopping by!

And thank you for setting me right on the author/book - it was driving me crazy. I knew there was a 'P' in the name somewhere though.

And one more thanks for the encouragement.