Saturday July 28th, 2018

The exercise:

Write a four line poem about: tying it all together.

Hmm? What's going on down there? Certainly not a four line poem of any sort.

Well, haven't seen that around these parts in a while. Let's gather round and watch Marc finally explain himself...

Mine:

I have referenced what I'm about to explain in so many prompts that I could probably spend the whole night tracking them down in order to shed light on them. Instead I'll just try to hit on the major points from the past three months or so, and the past week in particular.

So let us begin with a welcome surprise. I was working at the community centre when a couple came in to use the weight room. The husband had recently retired from Public Works, the wife had retired from Town Hall but is still covering shifts through the relief pool. She'd worked that week and mentioned that she saw that I was on the newest seniority list that had just come out.

I said "You what now?"

Because I'd been told that the cleaning job would not gain me seniority. But, because I was already employed by the town before I began, it did. Wish I'd known that was the case while I was doing it, but still happy news.

Great, I can now apply for internal postings. I'm near the bottom of the list but I'm still there, waiting for a job opening.

Except I'm not just waiting. Because I spoke with the director of Public Works while covering the clerk job there and he mentioned he's got a full time, year round, permanent job awaiting budget approval. It's a utility person position and he tells me they'd like someone with plumbing and/or carpentry experience to add to the crew.

So I found an online plumbing course and finished it. Then, because the job still hasn't been posted, I do a carpentry course. And I wait. Because they've updated the job description and need union sign off on it, but the town is flooding and nobody is available to meet. So much red tape.

At long last the job is posted. I get an interview. I wait for their decision. I do not enjoy said wait. And... I don't get the job. It came down to me and one other guy, and he had more seniority.

Disappointing.

Except that guy worked at the community centre. And now his job needs to be filled. So here we go again. At least this time it's a quick turn around, as they need to replace him as fast as possible. And, surprise, the initial posting is internal only.

So I apply, expecting to get another interview. "You again" is what I figure they'll say when I walk in to the room for my second interview in as many weeks. But I'm also fairly certain that I'll be the only person with seniority to apply for the position, so it feels like the writing is on the wall. Which also makes it a little difficult to continue doing my current job. I figure the interview will be a mere formality, but I'm trying not to get overconfident.

Turns out? My interview was a phone call that mostly involved offering me the job.

I begin August 11th.

I'll get into the pros and cons tomorrow but for now... I hope it was worth the wait.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Congratulations on the new job! I'm looking forward to hear what it will entail, and how many dead fish you'll find while you're doing it.
I'm glad I picked up on something going on through the prompts, though I'm deeply disappointed that you're not a top assassin touring the world and performing hits. Then again, I suppose you might still be and this could just be misdirection.... I suspect the plumbing and carpentry courses will come in handy anyway, and it's good to know that you've got seniority, no matter how unexpectedly -- and that it can only increase now that you're officially the Mayor's body double (that's the job, right?)
Is the new job 9-5 as I recall that the public facilities job was different (and 4 days on, 2 off, I think?)?

Tying it all together
I was going to bring you heather,
And I was tying it all together,
When you suddenly choked and sneezed,
And said you had allergies....

Marc said...

Greg - thanks!

The cleaning job was 4 days on, 4 days off, 10 hours each day. Which made scheduling things hard, as the actual days of the week I was off changed each week.

The schedule for the new job will be 12-6 Monday and Tuesday, 4-8 Wednesday and Thursday, then 9-5 on Saturday. It's basically the job I was doing as relief coverage in the winter, with some additional responsibilities now that I'm permanent. Covering the front desk, balancing cash, answering phones, locking up at night. Opening on Saturdays. I'm sure I'll pick up extra shifts here and there (I'm already working evenings the next two Fridays).

And thanks for the smile this poem brought my way :D