Friday April 29th, 2022

The exercise:

Write four lines of prose about: a promotion.

Went back to the office Wednesday afternoon to find that my computer had been moved to my new desk location. The area next to me is still under construction but I am very happy to be there instead of where I've been since I started.

Oh, also: I'm starting a new job on Monday. Well, technically. A colleague is leaving for a job with the City of Penticton and I was promoted into her position. As of Monday I shall be an Administrative Assistant, but I'll still be doing my Legislative Services Clerk position until my own replacement is hired and fully trained up. So, probably at least another three weeks.

But I'm all too happy to start getting paid more as of Monday!

2 comments:

Greg said...

Congratulations! That's a satisfyingly quick promotion, clearly your potential is nice and visible to your managers :) Administrative Assistant sounds like it should come with a uniform (I'm thinking something like Captain Frenchtoast is wearing in this cartoon :) Although perhaps you'd prefer something a touch fancier?

The new desk location sounds like a good thing too; does Administrative Assistant come with a throne, or perhaps some coils of barbed wire to strategically deploy to keep people away? I expect the next level gets the guard dogs :)

Right, let's see what we can do with your prompt then... :)

Promotion
"This prescription...," said the pharmacist waving the scrap of paper in the air like a flag, "is ridiculous! If I give you this much warfarin your blood will thin so much it'll leak out of your skin and you'll exsanguinate!"
"Doctor Doestoomuch gave it to me," said the elderly woman gloomily, "just after he told me he'd got a promotion."
"Dear Gods above," said the pharmacist, and it sounded like a desperate prayer.

Marc said...

Greg - thank you! It feels particularly satisfying after having no opportunity to move up for my last two years in Osoyoos. And I have felt very much appreciated ever since I started with the RDOS, so I would say I have zero regrets about taking the job.

Well, the first job. We'll see about this one :P

Uh, I'll pass on the uniform, thanks.

I'm pretty sure I can wrangle up some barb wire and no one would notice until well after the renovations have been completed.

A promotion to... what position, exactly? Surgeon General?