Friday June 13th, 2008

The exercise:

It's Friday the 13th, so include a superstition in your writing. Use it as a first line, a last line, write about a superstition you have, about the origins of a common superstition or an obscure one.

Mine:

Break a mirror, face seven years bad luck? Isn't that a bit harsh? I've seen murderers, robbers and rapists get lighter sentences than that.

If you break one on purpose I suppose that's one thing. But if it was an accident? If I fall off a ladder and happen to land on a child would I be punished like a serial killer? Of course not, yet all mirror breakers are treated equally in the eyes of this karmic law!

Imagine a six year old boy knocking his mother's mirror off the dresser. Congratulations young man, you've just won seven years of misery! You won't see happiness again until your thirteenth birthday! Lucky thirteen indeed.

And what of a grandmother, alone in her nursing home room? Hand shaking furiously as she checks her hair in her antique hand mirror. What if it falls from her frail grasp and shatters on the floor? Might as well pull the plug now!

My brothers and sisters, elect me as your leader and I will do away with this arcane law! I will ensure that each broken incident will be handled on a case by case basis, with an open, kind and fair heart. No more will our children and elderly live in fear of their reflection! No more will the good people of this great country be subjugated by this unfair, unjust and unreasonable law!

You won't hear my opponent in this momentous election discuss this critical issue. And I'll tell you why: he is a staunch supporter of this terrible law. His voting record proves it! How can we, as responsible citizens of this great country, allow such a man to lead us?

The voting stations open tomorrow my friends. I trust you to make the correct choice.

Thank you and God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why bother with all the trouble, make all mirrors of stainless steel, no more break, no more bad luck!

Island man