Saturday June 28th, 2008

The exercise:

Kat and I went strawberry picking this morning on Westham Island and came home with 17 pounds of berries. We'll be freezing and eating these for quite a while:




Today's exercise is to use a favorite Beatles lyric as your first line and go from there. I suspect you can guess what mine will be.

Mine:

Strawberry fields forever! May we never see the day that these delicious berries are only born in the laboratories of giant corporations. May the day never dawn that these fields are dug up, paved over and built up into the latest subdivision of matching houses. But if that day does arrive, may the very next day bring the earthquake that washes it all away.

Strawberry fields forever. May the day soon come that every single man, woman and child realizes, appreciates and acts on the knowledge that a fresh, local strawberry tastes one hundred times better than one transported from thousands of miles away. May the fields of our local growers be filled with the young and old alike, picking the biggest, juiciest berries side by side. Five for the bucket, one for me. Three for the bucket, one for you. One for the bucket, two for me.

Strawberry fields forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

adapted to The Beatles Prompt...Tumbling

The prompt was entitled Tumbling.
I didn't know what to write. It didn't gel with me. Nothing triggered, like it usually did.
I had zip, nada, diddly.
I slept on it and still nothing.
I felt like Elaine on that Seinfeld episode where she had writer's block about the Himalayan Walking Shoe. Maybe I should be writing up that "Blocked" prompt right now, 'cause that was me - blocked. 

Then a new day dawned.
I went walking along the sea shore. It was wild and angry waves came in, rumbling, tumbling, seeking passage to shore, each one vying for position among the rocks. 
The wind was cleansing, flushing out the early morning cobwebs in my brain, but it wasn't cold.
Oh no, it was balmy and I know it, along with my aching hips and the growing cloud cover, confirms a truth for me - it is going to rain mightily.
I stopped and typed up my notes en-route; thank goodness for my iPhone.

I walked home to the tune of the Beatles singing "Here Come the Sun". Such optimism!

Marc said...

Writebite - woohoo, one less prompt with no comments! :D

This definitely works here too - well spotted!