Tuesday June 10th, 2008

The exercise:

Choose a number from one to thirty. Multiply your number by your age. Now go grab a dictionary, open it up to whatever page number you've come up with and choose the fifth word defined on that page. If your number is greater than the number of pages in your dictionary, divide it in half.

No dictionary on hand? Take a word of the day from an online dictionary. Or if you're feeling really adventurous use a word of the day from urban dictionary.

Okay, got your word? Now use it:

A. In a serious sentence.
B. In a funny sentence.
C. In a two line rhyming poem as one of the rhyming words.
D. In an absurd, ridiculous, non-nonsensical sentence.
E. In the shortest sentence possible that still makes sense.

Mine:

My word: 18 x 29 = 522 = Feral: in a wild state; resembling a wild animal

A. The inmate paced around his cell unceasingly, his feral desires screaming to be unleashed upon the city once more.
B. "I think he's gone feral," Tim said as he watched his little brother devour his dinner.
C. Despite your lovely apparel
I must say your breath is feral
D. Feral apples don't play well with over-ripe bananas.
E. His sheep are feral.

I felt like I got lucky with that word so I went again.

My word: 10 x 29 = 290 = Companionate: of, by, or like companions

A. Fifteen crows (at last count) have gathered in their companionate tree outside our house, screaming and screaming at the top of their lungs to let the whole neighborhood know who's in charge now.
B. How can companionate be an adjective when it reeks so much of noun'ness?
C. Why, oh why must it be companionate?
Please, oh please just tell me it was not fate!
D. Charles the dog and Daisy the cat are enjoying eating from their companionate dish a little too much for my liking.
E. Our companionate savings account is overdrawn.

Ok, lesson learned, no more of that. I'm not even sure I used it correctly! Either way, use as many words as you like and good luck!

No comments: