Tuesday June 17th, 2008

The exercise:

When was the last time you uttered, "Well now I've seen everything"? Write about it.

Mine:

Kat and I were in the garden just before dinner tonight, weeding and planting and harvesting veggies. The garden is right beside the alley that runs between 18th and 17th avenues, with a half-rotten wooden fence separating our greens from the alley.

I was near the fence wreaking destruction upon the stubborn weeds surrounding our snow peas while Kat was closer to the middle of the garden. Our silent reverie was suddenly disturbed by the sound of a shopping cart trundling along the alley. I heard the lady pushing it talking but didn't look up, too intent on getting the last of the wicked weeds. Then I realized I was only hearing half of the conversation.

I looked over at Kat to find her looking back at me with a mix of laughter and puzzlement. We remained like that until the shopping cart and it's owner (legally or otherwise) had passed by.

"I think that's exactly what it seemed like," Kat said.

I stood up and looked down the alley to see that we had indeed just been witness to a homeless woman pushing a shopping cart full of odds and ends. While talking on a cell phone.

"Yes, it is," I replied. "Well now I've seen everything."

No comments: