Friday December 12th, 2008

The exercise:

Def Poetry Jam Friday has babies on its mind, as did Bassey Ikpi when she wrote Apology To My Unborn.

Mine:

"Practicing slow this breathing that will one day usher you into this world." That, that right there, is one hell of a line.

Speaking of fine lines, this is pretty high up there as well: "I still think you deserve more than this threat of me as your mother." This piece is littered with incredible lines, I should give up trying to capture them all.

Such powerful honesty, such open insecurity. The image of one very pregnant woman, alone on stage as she shares her fears and hopes for her child is one that is hard to forget. I hope that I never do.

Here's another performance from the very talented, but this time much less pregnant, Bassey Ikpi.

No comments: