Sunday December 21st, 2008

The exercise:

That is a whole lotta snow out there and it's not stopping. White Christmas, incoming.

The starter: five gold rings.

Mine:

There is a room that has long passed from the memory of living men, deep below the mountains of this country, but I have not forgotten it. I forget nothing.

This room contains the salvaged treasures of civilizations that once ruled this planet, who later became legend, then myth and now are not spoken of by anyone who wishes to maintain a reputation for rational thinking. But I am not concerned with reputations, and so I speak of them.

Within this mess of mementos there is a box; wooden, plain, no etchings or paintings of note, but finely crafted by a loving hand. Inside this simple container are the signets of the five most powerful men to have ever graced this humble planet with their presence.

And I do not make such a claim lightly.

The five gold rings stored in that box, in that forgotten room, are the key to the return of our great nation to its rightful place as rulers of this planet. When it is time, when the right men are once again among us, they will be retrieved, and they will see the light of day and the stars of night once more.

And, I promise you, they will never be forgotten again.

2 comments:

Yuri said...

I stared at the boxes and what they represented to me and about me. Each box a different colour but similar in shape. Each housing a circlet of gold made precisely to fit the third finger of my left hand. Each ring beautiful in its own way but reminding me of my failures. Five gold rings. Five failed attempts at happily ever after. I sighed and slowly shut each box. Opening the top drawer of my dresser I stowed them away as if by doing so I could forget the five mistakes I'd made. Maybe this year would be better.

Marc said...

Love it Yuri, very evocative.