Tuesday December 30th, 2008

The exercise:

I failed to mention it last week, but my second story over at my Creative Outlet has come to a conclusion. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out and I would appreciate you checking it out if you haven't already done so.

So as a delayed celebration, the starter for today is: spare change.

Mine:

Do you have a quarter to spare?
You could change my life, if you dare…

Nope, I need to make a phone call
And then pay for my parking stall.

Then perhaps I could have a dime?
I don’t think I have much more time…

Sorry, ten cents is far too much;
I just don’t have the Midas touch!

A nickel then, is all I ask;
Surely that’s not too great a task…

Again, I must tell you plainly:
That amount is just ungainly!

A penny then, I shan’t ask more;
I hear Death knocking at my door…

Hey, money doesn’t grow on trees;
Earn it yourself - get off your knees!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Change

This is a quote drawn from a book Water Man by Roger McDonald, 1993. It appears on the dust jacket blurb...
'The thing about change is it shows you who you were all along. It brings you to yourself.' I love this quote although, unfortunately, I didn't love the whole book.
This vew of "change" is very apt in my life right now. It happened upon my synchronistically. I have recently undergone a change of abode. All the signs pointed to 'yes' when it happened - the old house sold easily, the new one was purchased readily, all within a week. The move went well, apart from the ill omen of torrential rains and some water damage inflicted on the furniture.
Nothing quite assuaged my tummy ache upon arrival here, though.
I made the best of it, soaking in all the positives and trying to bury the negatives. The ocean sounds and breeze I enjoyed, the quietness at night, the crickets and frogs singing after dusk. The things I did not enjoy were the woman yelling next door (that improved once I saged the interface between her house and mine), the dog barking until nine each night (neglected by its owners), the lack of real contact, despite meeting a few nice-ish people - they aren't in my soul group, it seems. 
So change occurs again, as I decide to move back to the area in which I last resided. I can't say it's where I came from because it's not. I live a long way from where I was born. But you find a new niche, don't you? Or, at least, you try.
So, the signs of change that brought me here - the symbolic and real dragonflies I see everywhere here - will now signal a change back, but back to a new abode once more, even though the neighbourhood will be comfortably familiar (like an old blanket on cold mornings).
It's a round-a-bout way to reach the niche that was there all along, waiting, (I tried to buy in the up-and-coming street seven years ago) but after what will be three moves and two districts I will get there, as this move will bring me perhaps the cloest I've ever been on this Earth to myself. 
And this morning, on my regular walk, the first song on the iPod was by The Travelling Wilburys, 'End of the Line,' told me - "but it's all right, riding around in the breeze, but it's all right, if you live the life you please, but it's all right, doing the best you can ... everything will work out fine,"
... and for this old nomad ... it will.

Marc said...

Writebite - what an unexpected, beautiful treat that was! Thank you :)