Tuesday February 22nd, 2011

The exercise:

Two haiku about: doctors.

As promised yesterday, here are my favorite pictures from the entire trip that don't have Kat or myself in them. Behold, the national bird of Jamaica:


That there would be a doctor bird. Here's a closer look at this striking hummingbird:


And one last one for good measure:


Considering how much I love birds, and hummingbirds in particular, watching these guys come and go while we ate lunch high up in the Blue Mountains was absolutely amazing. I'll never forget it.

Mine:

Wearing a white coat,
he endorses the best meds.
I change the channel.

*     *     *

He sounds so sincere
when he tells me it won't hurt.
He's a damned liar.

4 comments:

Greg said...

That first picture does a really good job of showing just how small they are! They're fantastic, and beautiful as well :)
Although... a farmer who loves birds? Isn't that a bit like a chicken-keeper who loves foxes?
I like your first haiku best because I wasn't expecting the punchline. The second one's pretty good too though!

Doctors
The children are out
Playing doctors and nurses.
Where's my good knife gone?

-----

The sign on his wall,
Says "Physician, heal thyself!"
He's got mumps today.

summerfield said...

welcome back, marc. the photos are outstanding. i love them. i've been doing some of the prompts, but they're all stuck in my draft folder in my blog. i should be able to post them one of these days. i have a story that i'm polishing so i'm rather pre-occupied.

your haikus are both funny, but the first one really rings true, as i always find these doctors (i've always wondered if they're real doctors) on TV infomercials most mornings.

@greg, i like both of yours, too, and thanks for your feedbacks on previous prompts.

mine:

"is the doctor in?"
"away, on assylum round."
"why, the doc's in-sane?"

---

take one black bird's egg
drink with goat's urine at night.
quack doctor, who else?

Marc said...

Greg - I like them as long as they leave my veggies alone :P

Love the final line in your first haiku :)

Summerfield - thank you, and I'm glad to hear you're still writing - I look forward to seeing them when you do post them.

Your second haiku definitely got a smile out of me tonight :)

summerfield said...

marc, don't you be trying that quack doctor's prescription for your jamaican flu. please, don't!

:-D