Saturday January 14th, 2017

The exercise:

Write a four line poem about: the basketball player.

Bakery was busy for pastries and treats, not so much for loaves of bread. Sold out of butter tarts, croissants, cinnamon buns, and focaccia. Put about 20 loaves of bread into the freezer. Bit of an odd day.

Very much looking forward to the arrival of my sister Nicky tomorrow night. She's out from Boston to see us for a couple days after having a visit with our sister Sue in Calgary. It'll be great to see her again, and I can't wait to introduce her to Miles.

And get her reacquainted with Max. That should be fun as well.

Mine:

The tallest of the giants,
Peter stalks toward the basket;
I quickly pass him the ball,
Lest he stuff me in a casket

2 comments:

Greg said...

I expect the bread freezes better than the pastries, so I think it's better that you're selling out of the pastries... but then I suspect the pastries are fiddlier to make and the bakers might prefer it the other way round! Enjoy the family gathering! I'm sure your sister will be delighted to meet her newest nephew :)
Well, Peter sounds terrifying and I think your narrator is doing exactly the right thing!

The basketball player
He's four foot nothing, but don't call him short,
He the undisputed master of the basketball court,
There're springs in his heels and knives in his hands,
And someone always dies when he jumps and then lands.

Marc said...

Greg - I've had croissants out of the freezer and they were totally fine. Plus the bread takes up more room in the freezer. But I do hate taking the icing off the cinnamon buns in order to freeze them so... selling out is really for the best, I think :P

Hah, I quite like this portrayal, especially the first two lines. Though I dare say the final two lines make me not wish to meet him on the court!