Tuesday July 29th, 2008

The exercise:

Find an object in your home that has a story. Tell that story.

Mine:

My Cheshire Cat sits on the bookshelf in the bedroom - two inches tall, pink and purple stripes, grin from ear to ear, stuffed with sand and memories.

It was a gift from the owners of the hostel I spent my Kiwi Christmas in. They bought all their guests little stuffed toys and even though there were probably seventy of us there they tried to make sure everyone got something appropriate. They told me I got the cat because I had a great smile.

My three weeks at that hostel in Waipu hold some of my favorite memories from the six months I spent exploring New Zealand from top to bottom. The great people I met, fishing off the beach, biking the countryside, countless puzzles and boardgames, being among the first people on earth to see the sun rise for the first time in 2004, watching two cars get married...

But that's a story for another time.

No comments: