Wednesday July 23rd, 2008

The exercise:

The Celebration of Light kicked off tonight, so let's talk about fireworks.

Mine:

It's pretty nice being able to watch the fireworks display from our balcony. This is our second summer here and I have to say that I don't miss the crowds at all.

I don't miss struggling to find a clear view or a spot devoid of loud-mouthed, chain-smoking idiots. I don't miss being herded through the streets at one block per hour with drunk frat boys.

I love the five second commute from living room to balcony. I love the privacy and intimacy. I love sharing the experience with friends and knowing that we're far enough away from the main viewing areas that they won't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic on their way home.

I still love the mystery and spectacle of the fireworks themselves. I've seen so many displays over the years but I still get surprised by new shapes, movements and colors.

I was very impressed with the Canadian effort tonight, they really got the Celebration of Light off to an excellent start. The timing and choice of music were brilliant and I'm eager to see if either of the two remaining countries will be able to match their showmanship.

You'll find me waiting for their attempts in my new favorite spot, which I also happen to call home.

No comments: