Thursday July 31st, 2008

The exercise:

The Sea-to-Sky Highway has been blocked by a rather large rock slide, leaving my sister, her husband and thousands of others unable to get to Vancouver unless they want to go the long way 'round. With that in mind today's topic is: trapped.

Mine:

The darkness reeks of earth, rock, dust. My steady breaths fill the air, my only companions. They were ragged and full of panic at first but calm has descended upon me and I rest now in its embrace.

Images begin to float by in the darkness, shining with their own light like televisions in an unlit living room. Family, friends, lovers all stopping by for a visit; a childhood scene, long forgotten, playing with our black lab Jessie in the backyard; hikes in the mountains of the world; sky diving in California; the sudden, shocking appearance of boulders on the highway; the tortured metallic screams of the truck as it was tossed about that rocky sea...

No, that sound is now. Have they come to dig me free at last? Will the light of day blind me, the fresh air drown me? Can anything ever be the same again...

No comments: