Friday August 1st, 2008

The exercise:

Welcome to August, and welcome back to Def Poetry Jam Friday. Today brings us Jon Goode's Barbara.

Mine:

My how the times have changed. It's weird thinking that the internet didn't really arrive in full force until I was in university. And video games when I was a wee little man? I don't recall Mario shooting a gun at anything or Luigi taking a chainsaw to Bowser.

I remember winter days spent sliding down hills and building snow forts, summer days playing baseball, hide and seek, playing in the dirt and playing in the trees. I don't remember too many days spent in front of a computer or a TV.

The thought of raising a child today is flat out terrifying to me. With all the drugs, violence at home and war abroad going on, it just makes me want to find a home in the middle of nowhere to have a family. But I bet the middle of nowhere still has wireless access.

This seems to be Goode's only Def Poetry appearance but I did find this other piece which is simply fantastic. Seriously, click that link.

No comments: