Monday August 11th, 2008

The exercise:

I did some writing in Douglas Park today and got a little bit of inspiration for today's starter - kids with bikes.

Mine:

"Sweetie, come back here!"

I look over my shoulder to find a little man barreling towards me. His mother is calling him from the sidewalk but he's too intent on his destination to care.

"Bike!" he says while pointing at my bike sitting beside me in the grass.

"Yes it is," I reply, not quite sure what to say. "Do you like it? Is that a nice bike?"

"Bike!" Now he's pointing at the bike helmet that I'm using as an impromptu writing table. I'm guessing 'helmet' is a bit beyond him at this stage, so I let it go. He walks over to me, a bit unsteady on his feet but determined to get where he's going.

"Sorry, he's a bit obsessed with bikes right now," his mother says as he reaches down and picks up my helmet. He then places it on my head, surprisingly gently.

"Thanks," I tell him with a big smile.

"Sorry, sorry," the mother says as she grabs his hand. "Come on sweetie, we need to get going. Say bye-bye!"

"Bike!"

Well, close enough. I give him a wave and return to my writing, helmet sitting slightly askew on my head.

No comments: