Thursday August 21st, 2008

The exercise:

Alright, Jack Johnson in concert is pretty awesome. I even have video proof, taken from the exit ramp during his encore. Here we go with my first attempt at uploading a video to Blogger:



The first act to hit the stage were Culver City Dub Collective, who I had not heard before but quite enjoyed. Here be a sample for you.

Anyway. This is going to be short for me since it's late, but today's topic is: great concert experiences.

Mine:

I saw Our Lady Peace at the Orpheum Theater a few years back and it was a great, great show. The defining moment came near the end of the concert when Raine Maida, the lead singer, decided that we were such a good, well behaved crowd that it would be alright for a few fans to join the band on stage.

So, obviously, a whole lot of people took him up on his offer, despite the misgivings of the security guards. But things went fine... in fact they went so well that Raine announced: "I need to see this for myself."

So he hopped down into the crowd and walked across about fifteen rows of seats, turned around and watched the people on the stage sing the rest of the song for him.

That's the sort of thing that, when experienced in person, makes life-long fans.

3 comments:

Olivia said...

always wanted to see him...missed him at trout or deer lake cant remember...mustve been super chill with all kinds of happy mellow sorts...

just to thank you for helping me to get in some writing practice (still trying to find time for one of those meetings)...

noticed you like this guy...
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/rives_remixes_ted2006.html

highly recommend checking out the site in general...more rives...and many other very cool speakers/experts in various fields...pass it on...

Olivia said...

www.ted.com/index.php/talks/rives_
remixes_ted2006.html

(site got cut-off; really good stuff)

Marc said...

I'm glad I could help you out with a place to practice your writing. Hopefully see you this Sunday perhaps?

And yes, Rives is awesome beyond comprehension. I've seen a couple of his TED pieces but I'll have to check the site... after I get some sleep.