Friday August 15th, 2008

The exercise:

I was almost going to skip Def Poetry Jam Friday this week because a) I spent a good portion of the day travelling to get to my parent's house and b) I was having trouble finding a performance that I wanted to discuss. Then I found Poetri's Driving.

Mine:

Ah, the joy of driving. What is it exactly that turns a reasonable, thinking human being walking on the sidewalk into the all about me, get out of my way, maniac behind the wheel? Hey, I'll be honest, I do it too. That's why I try to avoid driving as much as possible. I can't even begin to describe how much more relaxing it is to bike or walk instead of hoping in a car.

Driving stresses me out. I could be having the best day of my life, everything is going perfectly, but put me in the driver's seat and have one other driver, just one, do something stupid in my line of sight and see what happens. My shoulders tighten up, my jaw muscles get working, the thoughts in my head... well, all of a sudden they're not keeping polite company.

And why? I would think it is at least partly to do with the inherent danger of motor vehicles. If you do something stupid on a bike, you can hurt yourself pretty good, maybe hurt one other person in the process, more if you've got a talent for it. But do something stupid behind the wheel? You can kill yourself, a mother, a child, a grandparent, your best friend.

Which makes it infuriating when you see another driver do something reckless or impatient that could easily result in tragedy. And it makes it painfully embarrassing when you catch yourself doing something similar.

I'm a big fan of Poetri's work, in fact I thought I had seen all of his performances on YouTube but I somehow missed this one and it turned out to be my favourite. I'll leave you with another piece that makes me smile every time I watch it.

No comments: