Saturday May 25th, 2013

The exercise:

Write a four line poem about: promises.

The sun shone for the entire farmers market today (though it was still fairly chilly), so I am feeling grateful for that. I'm also grateful for all the people who came out and bought our plants and rhubarb (and one of my cards), making for a better week for us than last go around.

Kat brought Max up late morning and we had a lot of fun introducing him to friends and customers. I think he liked it too.

Next weekend? Next weekend we might have some strawberries to sell.

Mine:

You keep telling me
To never say never,
But your promises
Are as empty as ever.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I'm glad you got some sun for the market!! Have a great week.

You promised never to hurt me,
You promised to never talk about her,
You promised we would go everywhere,
But here we are, nowhere.

Greg said...

@Birttany: That's a fascinating tale of let-down and bruised dreams in just four lines. I like how petulant it sounds in particular; it's clear there are two sides to this story!

@Marc: Yay for rhubarb! And the possibility of strawberries too :) Sounds like you're getting off to a firm but slow start back at the market, surely that's not a bad thing? And I'm not at all surprised that everyone loves Max!
A gentle rebuke of a poem, I see. I think I might know a couple of people who could do with reading it myself!

Promises
Still breaking your spoken promises?
Still dreaming of fork├Ęd tongues?
Still seeking to overcome Death,
Breathing your lies into dead men's lungs?

Marc said...

Brittany - thanks! And I hope your week treats you well too :)

Really like your final line. Delivers just the right ending for your poem.

Greg - yeah, we're quite pleased with how things have started this year.

Excellent final two lines this week. Planting story ideas in my noggin' again...