Friday October 31st, 2014

The exercise:

Happy Halloween! Write four lines of prose that have something to do with: another point of view.

Max dressed up as a turtle this year and was, obviously, very adorable. Kat has a picture on her phone so I'll have to get that from her in order to share it. I did a very simple cowboy costume (as in, I bought the hat and wore jeans and a short-sleeved button up plaid shirt that I already owned) since my pirate getup from last year freaked Max out a little bit.

He definitely liked this year's version better. He even wanted to wear the hat.

Oh, speaking of pictures - we got our family photos back already. Still looking through them, trying to narrow it down to a top ten or so, but I thought I'd share my clear favorite:


I know I should probably pick one that actually shows off the fall colours, but this one is, in my opinion, too perfect to be diminished by such considerations.

Mine:

He seems... upset. Perhaps his eyes - those rich, deep, dark brown eyes - see this scene differently from how my dull gray ones perceive things. I suppose he doesn't understand, but how could he?

A part of me, admittedly a very small part, wishes I could just tell him that I have simply grown weary of my troublesome wings.

4 comments:

Greg said...

That is an excellent photo! I don't think you need colour is in at all; it's pretty damn good the way it is! I can completely see why it's your favourite. (And it's definitely a good thing that you'd shaved for the photos!)
Cowboy sounds fun, I wonder when Max will be old enough to appreciate the pirate costume?
Heh, I rather like that your lines today explain what happened to the wings from yesterday. Even though there's still clearly more of this story to be told!

Another point of view
The squirrel, a blur of grey as it raced through the garden, avoided the obvious tree and went for one a little further away. As its claws gripped the bark and strong legs propelled it upwards it felt a brief wash of hot breath over its back, and the chihuahua skidded to a halt at the trunk below it. It paused half-way up, getting its breath back. This was by far the best way it had found of exercising all year; and it wound the dog up to boot!

Nicole said...

Okay, I started in on NaNoWriMo so that's my daily writing for the next month and I refuse to feel guilty about just commenting randomly on your posts and ignoring the writing prompt. :-P

In this picture I can see shades of Dennis in your face. He said that from the side I looked like Mom when I saw him in August. I keep thinking that you and I are strongly skewed to Dad's side, but there is in fact a mix. :-)

Anonymous said...

I keep staring at her with my large brown eyes. She’s the one that saved me from that box with those strangers peering in all the time. She took me to a warm house where I could run around all I want and smell so many different things and I get to have her love me all the time.
I feel so lucky my master picked me.

Marc said...

Greg - yeah, the beard would have ruined this one for sure :)

Haha, I can just see a squirrel thinking thoughts along those lines!

Nicole - good luck with Nano! Have you planned your story out, or just going where it takes you?

Huh, that's interesting. I remember Mom telling me that I reminded her of one of her brothers on a recent visit, but I think that had more to do with the beard than anything else :P

Ivybennet - aw, that's a nice sweet one :)