Friday September 23rd, 2016

The exercise:

Write four lines of prose about: the injury.

It's been a rough week for my left hand. On Sunday (or maybe Monday?) I was cooking a chicken curry in coconut milk, so I had opened up a can of coconut milk and left it sitting on the counter with the lid pointed straight up. 

Smart, I know.

Shortly afterward, I went to grab something behind it and cut my left thumb and left ring finger on the lid.

That hurt quite a bit. I've had band-aids on both of them since.

This afternoon at the bakery I was mopping up in the back and had fallen behind schedule a little bit, so I was rushing. And being careless again, obviously. There's a long baker's bench, under which they keep four big bins of flour. I have to roll them out in order to sweep and mop under there, but this time I managed to squish my left thumb between the bin and the bottom of the table.

That also hurt quite a bit. As I sit here now, some seven hours later, my thumb is still throbbing. And there's a nice black spot under my thumbnail where the blood dried up.

So my goal for tomorrow's shift is to escape it uninjured.

Or, at the very least, to escape without injuring my left hand any further.

Mine:

"Ma, I think I'm dying!"

"It's just a tiny little cut, dear - I'm sure you'll be fine."

"Ma, I'm bleeding out here!"

"Oh, just stick a band-aid on it and get back to cleaning your room."

2 comments:

Greg said...

Ouch, jagged metal lids do make for painful cuts, but the good news is that they tend not to scar because they tear rather than slice and the healing works better. But... but... you should still take the lid entirely off :) Cling-film is actually a better cover for the tin once it's open. Still, I hope the cuts have not been aching too much over the past few days.
The bakery accident is more of one-of-those-things though; I'm sorry to hear about that. Clearly you should leave your left-hand behind when you go to work tomorrow!

Haha, I love the hypochondriac in your story. I'm pretty sure I've dated someone like that once....

The injury
"You stabbed me! I'm suing!"
"Mrs. Escabeche, I... I don't know what to say... I gave your son his vaccination and no-one's been anywhere near you."
"You stabbed me by proxy!"

Marc said...

Greg - yes, I suppose I should take the lids all the way off. I rarely do though. Anyway, the cuts are all better now. My left thumb is still a little tender if I get it in the right spot though...

Hah, I think I've met a mom or two like that before :)