Friday September 5th, 2008

The exercise:

Def Poetry Jam Friday says: go watch Idris Goodwin performing What Is They Feedin' Our Kids?

Mine:

I know there have been some improvements in our schools recently, in particular the banning of junk food (which I'm a huge fan of), but man... it's hard to forget what I grew up with.

Vending machines where the healthiest option was salted, sugared, preserved better than a mummy peanuts? Check.

Hot dogs with white buns with toppings that were more chemicals than toppings, with a wiener made of... only the good lord knows what? Check and double check.

Your correct answer is rewarded with candy so full of sugar you're so hyper you can't sleep that night? Yeah.

I know so much more about proper nutrition now, I guess we all do. I just hope we find a way to get the message to the kids in high school who react to the junk food ban by going for lunch at the McDonald's around the corner.

Apparently Mr. Goodwin is also a rapper? I approve.

No comments: