Sunday September 21st, 2008

The exercise:

Using my writers group prompt from this morning: write a conversation with one of the characters in a story you have written/are writing.

Mine:

"We need to talk, Mister Writerman."

"Okay," I replied, "what do you want to talk about?"

"My life and what you're doing with it."

Uh oh.

"Well, listen -"

"No no, you listen," he interrupted sharply. "You think that you're my God or something, your wish is my command right? Well let me ask you this - why didn't you make me rich, with a beautiful wife and fast cars?"

"Well, that wouldn't be very interesting," I said. "I find rich people rather boring."

"Oh, so you made me a drunken, doped up bum for your own entertainment?"

"Hey - you're clean now and you even have a proper job!"

"Ah yes, my place of work... where my 'friend' Tommy showed up and waved a gun in my face!" he yelled, his face turning an alarming shade of red.

"Yes, but that all worked out alright in the end, didn't it?"

"Right - because my previously unknown sister tricked him into it since she wants me dead! What does next week have in store, the black plague?"

"That's a bit much... I was thinking more like you'd get beat up a bit when the store got robbed -"

"I quit."

"What? You can't quit! Get back here!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ah, Ferdinand. There you are. How can I help?"

"I wish to complain, most vehemently, about my co-protagonist in that awful tale you are weaving."

"Co-protagonist? Oh. You mean Rob. He's the hero."

"I think not. That would be me. He's a loser. And he smells."

"Oh, Ferdinand. Don't be silly. Rob's nice! He's very misunderstood, you know."

"So what? He still smells. He smells of chocolate and cheese. And it makes me feel sick. I would like a transfer. You owe me that."

"Maybe after you've sorted Rob's life out. Where do you want to go, anyway?"

"I don't really care, as long as I get away from the stinkmonster. Oh. Just a minute... Couldn't I join in the Henry thing?"

"Umm. No, not really. All the parts are taken in that. You wouldn't really add anything."

"How about as a first toy for Clare's little baby?"

"Oh dear, Ferdy. Didn't you read the last chapter?"

"No. And don't call me Ferdy. Why?"

"Sorry. Just go and read it and you'll find out."

"Nothing's happened to her little baby, has it? You've got me worried now."

"No, nothing's happened. Besides, Rob needs you."

"He needs a bath."

"Oh, stop it. Everyone likes you in that story. Wouldn't you like to stick around and find out what happens next?"

"He's not going to get it on with that cutie from the library, is he? Not unless she has a good supply of clothes pegs. To put on her nose."

"Hmmm..."

"How about that Bella Pleasance thing. I'd be great in that. And I fancy Cat. I doubt if she smells."

"Ferdinand?"

"Yes?"

"Go away."

Marc said...

Haha, it's a lot of fun, isn't it?

Someone at my writers group mentioned that it was interesting that all of our characters were angry at us.

I guess if we treated them better the story would be far less interesting... poor sods.