Wednesday September 3rd, 2008

The exercise:

I came across an interesting site through Facebook the other day called Protagonize. It's an interactive fiction site, with the basic idea being that one writer contributes the first chapter then anyone else can write the next chapter, then the next, and so on. I think it's a pretty cool concept and I urge you to check it out even if you don't want to write anything. There are some very good stories going on right now.

Anyway, to the point, at last! I wrote my first piece there in a 'story' where the first chapter was a poem about the number one, the second about two and yadda yadda yadda. I came in for the poem on ten and I thought I'd share it here. So the exercise is to write a poem about a number, be it ten or twenty or whatever you decide on.

Mine:

Alright it's time right now for ten to shine,
This poem will be ten's very own shrine.
For the number that signals perfection,
Let us take a moment for reflection.

Without ten, coveting our neighbour's wife
Would simply be a normal way of life!
What would Letterman be without his Top Ten?
Would we ever watch his talk show again?

One plus none is 10, this is strange new math -
Must be the effect of Sylvia Plath.
At least there are still ten cents in a dime;
I'd say more but it's time to end this rhyme.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Hello Marc, and how do you do?
My favourite number is five hundred and sixty two.
Oh no, it isn't really; I made that up
But you can't blame me, I'm a cheeky pup.

Freewriting is great and it makes me smile
When I read what I've written in my own weird style.
Sometimes I wonder where I get all these thoughts...
Oh - another great number is a two with six noughts.

I hope you have fun on Protagonize.
When you're adding to the stories, how the time just flies.
So, hi and good luck from a British well-wisher
With the ID Tasha Noble but please call me Tricia!

(to be read in a sort of rap stylee) :-)

Marc said...

Haha, totally brilliant. And it only gets better if you read it with a beatbox in your head.

Thanks for the contribution!