Tuesday May 25th, 2010

The exercise:

Your Two Haiku Tuesday prompt this week: in the marsh.

There is an area of protected marsh on the west side of the lake in Osoyoos and Kat and I had a nice walk over there on Sunday afternoon. Both of my haiku are based on that. But only because I didn't have my camera with me - if I'd had it I wouldn't have seen a thing.

Managed to only leave work two hours early today. Hoping to last the day tomorrow.

Mine:

A real live beaver?!
At last, I'm officially
Canadian now!

*     *     *

A red-winged blackbird
took time from its busy day
to show us around.

3 comments:

Greg said...

I think I know what you mean about having a camera with you -- you can spend so long looking for something to photograph that you completely miss everything in the area! I think it really helps to visit somewhere first without a camera (or with just a phone camera) and then go back later knowing what pictures you want to capture.

I like your first Haiku best, but the second one has a sophisticated-Disney feel to it.

In the marsh

Salt-water soaks me,
The marsh is much deeper here --
It's up to my neck!

--------

Wetlands bring damp dreams
Of flying with the herons
Across summer skies.

morganna said...

Nothing but fallen
Trees -- Climb the logs but don't be
Ankle-caught between.

A hole in the bank
Sleek brown length gliding away
Muskrat's on the prowl.

Marc said...

Greg - yeah, I definitely look forward to going back there with my camera.

I like both of yours, but the second a little more, due to poetic romanticism :)

Morganna - your first one has a lovely rhythm to it and I quite like the imagery of the second. Great stuff!