Saturday November 2nd, 2013

The exercise:

Write a four line poem that has something to do with: glasses.

Survived my first solo shift at the gym today. It was very quiet this morning, despite the rainy weather, so that gave me time to get to some neglected cleaning tasks. Then it got busy in the afternoon and that was pretty much the end of that.

Kat was also busy today, attending a first aid course that was primarily focused on caring for young children. That left Max to hang out with his grandparents up the hill from basically 8:30 this morning until 5:30 this afternoon.

That's definitely the longest he's been apart from both of us, but he seemed to do pretty well. His grandparents looked pretty tired when we showed up for dinner though...

Mine:

For so long they were kept hidden,
In beauty's game she was a pawn.
She knew she'd truly found her match
The day he whispered: Leave them on.

4 comments:

Greg said...

That sounds like a good way to start your first day on the job. I suspect it'll always be quiet in the mornings and then building up to more of a busy-ness over the course of the day; not many people are morning-people when it comes to exercise!
By the way… it's November, so we must be due a visit to (what remains of) Mejaran soon. And with only two months left I guess we're going to start to get revelations too!
Heh, I like how your poem describes the effects of the glasses without ever describing them directly. Rather nicely done, and reminds me of a less acerbic Dorothy Parker (I think the quote is "Men seldom make passes. At girls who wear glasses.")

Glasses
He brought sand to the boil,
In various rare gasses,
In order to make
Very special glasses…

Anonymous said...

glasses

The table was not perfect, like it had to be
So I reached high for the glasses, they crashed all over me.
What a mess I had made, not that it mattered,
...I was absent from your funeral, I guess you were shattered.

morganna said...

Wash them,
Polish them to
Perfection. What is that?
A water spot -- rub it out at
Once! These glasses must glimmer and sparkle
This is the event of the year!
Our table must dazzle
With sparkle and
Shine.

Marc said...

Greg - I'm trying to get caught up on comments this afternoon so that I can tackle Mejaran tonight. We'll see.

That's an intriguing little poem you have there. Has me wondering who the glasses are for and what they will be used for...

Writebite - connected to the previous day's writing? Either way, nicely written.

Morganna - like the emotion and enthusiasm here, it's very well conveyed.