Friday September 15th, 2017

The exercise:

Write four lines of prose about: fractions.

Managed to get both Max and myself haircuts this afternoon, as Miles napped for the first time in... three or four days. All three of us are now much better off because of it.

Back to work for a day tomorrow, then off for the Rock Creek Fair, then back for three more days.

I am so not going to have any bloody idea what day it is by the time this stretch is over.

Mine:

Things are only half seen in the land of in between. Noises, from the softest whispers to the most savage of roars, are only heard in thirds. And distances are much shorter - perhaps only a quarter of what they ought to be.

There is a way to escape this place, but less than an eighth keep their faith long enough to find it...

2 comments:

Greg said...

I have a similar problem with losing track of what day it is, so I shouldn't feel too bad about it! It's kind of fun when someone tells you it's Tuesday and you thought it was May :) And... the rest of the world will be delighted to update you on when you are, so it won't last very long anyway. Enjoy it while you can.
I like how your fractions keep decreasing through the four lines, it creates a sense of motion through the story. I also like that the distances are much shorter than they should be -- this sounds like a fascinating place to investigate. Overall, you've intrigued me enough that I'd quite welcome a return here for more details.

Fractions
"Our murderer has some form of OCD," said the forensic criminologist. He tapped his pen against his teeth and continued, "with the first murder, the siamese twins, we essentially had two bodies. With the second there was only one, for the third he left just just half a corpse, then there was barely a quarter -- that leg and attached... bits. If you don't catch him soon he'll be down to leaving us a tablespoon of human mince."

Marc said...

Greg - it's funny how often I heard people asking each other what day it was this summer. I guess that's life in a resort town for you.

Hmm, I hadn't put much thought into this beyond what I wrote, but I shall give further investigation some consideration :)

Eek. Yes, please catch him before the fractions get even smaller! Also: 'that leg and attached... bits' is an incredible line :D