Friday May 8th, 2009

The exercise:

The weekend begins with the second installment of Four Line Friday Prose.

This week the topic shall be: compulsions.

Mine:

I have an issue with having too many windows open on my computer at work. Those little boxes, lined up in a neat little row at the bottom of the screen, torment me. They yell and scream that I have too much work to do. So I close them regularly, even when I know that I'll need to open up that same program again in five minutes... or less.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Ah, I know exactly what you mean about icons at the bottom of the screen and having too many windows open. I dislike having windows overlap, so I tend to stick to one or two per workspace and have four workspaces to cope. I also loathe having Word open for any reason....

Compulsions
When the snow falls she has to stop at the window and count every flake. I can hear her muttering, numbers running rapidly under her breath, as she tries to mark every flake that falls. When it stops she produces some outlandish number -- "4 million, 548 thousand, 261!" -- that she knows I can't contest. I just smile and wash my hands... again.

Marc said...

Hah, great final line, as usual.

I don't know why, but I particularly liked the bit about her giving a number that the narrator is unable to contest.