Tuesday May 19th, 2009

The exercise:

Today's starter: that's gonna leave a mark.

The actual inspiration for this is an angry red cut on the back of my right hand that I received this afternoon at work playing volleyball, of all things. I just like to share the inspiration when my actual writing has nothing to do with it :)

Mine:

I don't need to remember the pain,
The scream of twisting metal in the rain;
Why have flashbacks of crawling from the car,
When I can just look down to see my scar?

That jagged line is all I need to see,
My tiny tattoo that I'll always carry;
I could never forget your silly grin,
When your memory is etched in my skin.

2 comments:

Greg said...

You were playing volleyball at work? This sounds like a very relaxed environment to work in! We have a pool table but no volleyball court, but on the whole, I think I'm probably glad about that.

The poem is rather good: I like the juxtaposition of the horror in the first verse with the acceptance of the second verse. I definitely like the last line a lot.

That's gonna leave a mark

Prestidigitation on a street corner,
And throwing dice in a local park,
Find the lady with a $10 price tag,
Oh but that's gonna leave a mark.

Marc said...

Aye, there's a office volleyball tournament going on and I got suckered into playing. It's outdoor though, so I get some lunch time sunshine out of it. When the weather is agreeable.

I like your alternative interpretation of mark. I was not expecting that at all :)