Wednesday May 20th, 2009

The exercise:

There's a big jackpot up for grabs tonight in the British Columbia lottery and I couldn't help but join in on an office pool to purchase some tickets. If I get my five million dollar cut tomorrow... you'll probably hear the yelling from wherever you may be.

Anyway, the starter for today is: the lottery.

Mine:

"I hope, oh how I hope, that my name is drawn," whispered my dear brother Shawn. I silently wondered when the knowledge would dawn that he was merely aspiring to become a pawn.

The barrel of names went round and round; our eyes were caught, our heartstrings bound. Though thousands were gathered, you could hear not a sound.

At last the rotations were halted and the lid clicked open. A frail old hand reached in while we all watched, dreaming and hoping. I suspect that I was the only one praying for my name not to be spoken.

"The winner, sweet children, of this year's lottery," announced bony old Douglas McGee, "is none other than... young Shawn Gentry!"

My brother let loose a yell and pumped his fist. He embraced me briefly, planted on my forehead a quick kiss. Then he ran to the front to collect his prize, thinking nothing amiss. And to this day, he is dearly missed.

3 comments:

g2 (la pianista irlandesa) said...

Ooh... This reminded me of a short story of the same name... -shudders-
But I digress

"I never did like takin m'chances when I didn' have't."
"Aw, cmon jackie! Everybodys gonna be in on this one!"
"that's what'm worried 'bout. D'we know who this stranger takin th'names an', worst yet, our money?"
"you don't get it, do ya Jackie?"
"Probably not, seen'ns your the educated one."
"this deal is the deal of the century! One in a lifetime, probably."
"Good thing th'cent'ry's near out then, huh?"
"oh, stop bein' such a sourpuss, Jackie."
"d's anybody know what the jackpot is, for sure?"
"well I think.. They said... Um. Hmmm..."
"nobody knows, do they?"
"well... No. No, I don't think so."
"ah, looks like they're gonna make an announcement. Good luck t'ya, my friend. Stay warm, an' I'll keep y'in my thoughts when everybody in town's swindled outta everything they own. I'm sure's hell glad I don't gamble when I don' have't."

Please pardon the typos... I whipped this thing up on an iTouch.

Greg said...

It reminds me of a short story I read a few years ago too, but I think that just reflects the fact that there's no new themes in fiction :) It's a great little prose-poem, and it took me by surprise a little as you seem to prefer either straight prose or straight poetry. It's good either way though.
Good luck with your office pool too!

g2: I like your story too, especially the dialogue -- very nicely observed!

The lottery

It's known as an idiot tax,
But you have to be in it to win it.

Watching the numbers drawn from the bin,
Praying to everyone and hoping to win,
Saying the money will not change your life,
While planning exactly how you'll leave your wife,
Picking your new home with elaborate care,
And flying first class because you'll have the fare.

It's known as an idiot tax
It brings more disappointment than joy.

Marc said...

g2 - now that you mention it, I recall reading that short story years and years ago. I suppose it influenced my writing, subconsciously or otherwise.

You did that on an iTouch? I'm even more impressed :)

Greg - I do like to indulge in a little rhyming prose every now and again.

I very much be liking yours. I've always thought of it as the idiot tax as well, giving my mom endless grief when she bought her ticket every week.

Now... now I can see the glittering temptation of escape winning would provide, and it's not so easy to give her grief.