Friday February 13th, 2009

The exercise:

Alright, this is ridiculous.

It's Friday the 13th.

This blog currently has 13 Followers.

I'm working on chapter 13 of my novel.

I'm not a superstitious man, but I've got my limits.

At least this is day number 250 in a row and not 213, or 313 or... 1313!

Anyway. Def Poetry Jam Friday would like to present Dreams Are Illegal In The Ghetto by Twin Poets. Because twins are creepy. And because it's a great piece.

(Guess which was the deciding factor)

Mine:

The first verse is poignant and funny but then the real story emerges. The struggles of poor kids in bad neighborhoods are obviously no joking matter, but I think it's made all the more powerful by the misdirection provided by the opening.

The harmony starts out a bit off but by the concluding verse it's so strong that it's almost hypnotizing.

Great final words as well: ...the devil is trying to make dreams not not drugs but he's trying to make dreams illegal but dreams... are not... illegal.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Would it helped if I stopped following you, even if for a day? At least then you'd have a safe, respectable number - 12 followers. Kinda like disciples. And you can't go wrong emulating Jesus, right? :p

Do you know where this whole Friday the 13th business comes from?! Cus I'd like to know.

Marc said...

Haha thanks Ana, but I think I'll survive :)

And as heard in the Big Lebowski, nobody f... er, never mind. :D

I shall look into the Friday the 13th thing when I have a moment to dig around - I too am curious.

Unknown said...

Well, I broke down and looked it up for us:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th

Marc said...

Those bloody Knights Templar - screwing up a perfectly good day for the rest of us!

Okay, there are other theories, I just happen to like that one best.