Wednesday February 18th, 2009

The exercise:

Apparently I live in the gang capital of Canada now? That's um... exciting.

So today's prompt is: gangs.

I decided to torture myself and do a song parody with mine - I don't know why I do these things to myself. It's pretty long so I'm just putting the first bit up here; you can find the full version over on Protagonize.

Please feel free to not do a song parody. Seriously. I'm looking out for your sanity here.

Mine:

Coffins Are Forever (The Vancouver Remix) - rapped to Diamonds From Sierra Leone (Remix) by Kanye West and Jay-Z

Intro

Coffins are forever
You will be there soon you’ll see
You’ll be beautiful as can be
As you lie there so still
Have no fear that it will
Desert... thee

Hook

Coffins are forever, forever, forever...
You keep drivin’ them nice cars,
With them gold-rimmed bars...
Coffins are forever, forever, forever...
All of yo drug money,
Will not stop this spree...
Not ever ever? Not ever ever? Never never?
Never never? Never never? Never never? Never Never?

2 comments:

Greg said...

I liked your haikus yesterday, but I never found time to add a comment -- sorry about that.

I am impressed with today's song, especially the full length version over at Protagonize! That must have taken you quite some time to get right :)

Right, let's see what we have then:
Gangs

This isn't a home, it's a hellhole,
Outside I hear the howls of the gangs at night,
But it isn't a war, it's a business,
And sometimes that means you have to fight.

He held a gun to my head, mummy.
He said he'd pull the trigger, and he did.
He said that I was born lucky,
I'm eight. I'm a lucky kid.

I hear there are places where it's safer,
But they're all somewhere beyond that door.
I can smell cordite hanging in the air,
I can see the blood pooling on the floor.

The only way out is by getting in,
I'm joining up, I have myself a knife.
I'm running away the first chance I get,
I'm running for my life.

Marc said...

You have no idea. I come up with these "great" ideas, dig into them, realize how painful it's going to be... and then refuse to give up.

Yours is a very powerful piece, I like it a lot. Tragic but hopeful.