Tuesday February 10th, 2009

The exercise:

I'm half asleep at the moment, so I'm going to go open Google News and pick the first interesting word I find as today's starter. Fingers crossed it's a good one.

And... here we go: Timberwolves. That was harder than it should have been - my brain is finding very few things interesting right now.

Mine:

In a forest somewhere
A hare is unaware
Of its doom coming near.
His ears cannot hear
Slow moving padded feet;
He eats his leafy treat.

Watching with hungry eyes
Their prize of meaty thighs,
The wolves descend as one.
Hare runs but knows he's done;
The ground splashed with his blood,
The flood reddens the mud.

The wolves dine savagely,
Then free howls so ghostly.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Hmmph, googling Timberwolves just brings back a basketball team (and a fairly unflattering wikipedia page for them too). However, I much prefer your interpretation of the phrase (and I like your poem), so let's work with that!

Timberwolves
All I needed was a pet
Who could guard my home.
Something strong and scary
And safe to leave alone.

So I got myself a timber wolf
Because they're cute when small.
And chained it up at my door
For when people came to call.

But now it's grown and scares me
And eats anyone that comes
My visitors, my postman,
My girlfriends and my mum.

Marc said...

Your poem made me smile.

Such a great flow to it!