Monday February 16th, 2009

The exercise:

Today's starter: empty hallway.

Mine:

I am alone,
Or so I think.
The floor is black,
The walls are pink.
I walk slowly,
Come to a stop;
I thought I heard
A single drop
Fall on the floor
Two steps behind.
I turn around
Only to find...

Nothing.

An empty hall,
No one in sight.
But what was that -
A trick of light?
My tired mind
Is playing games;
Too much coffee
Is what I blame.
Behind my back
One more drop hits;
I'd turn to look
But I know it's...

Nothing.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Nicely done, lyrical and slightly eerie at the same time. It's kind of late here, but I'll have a go anyway.

Empty hallway

Where you were waiting, long ago,
There's now just dust and ageless fears.
The statues that beheld you there
Are ground away by weight of years.
I promised you I would return,
And here I am tonight.
Standing in an empty hallway,
Triumphed over endless night.
My victory is purely pyrrhic,
Your plaintive feet have up and gone.
And I take what was your station,
And I shall wait for your return.

Marc said...

Thanks Greg.

Yours has a lovely haunting feel to it that really comes out when I read it aloud.

Laura Jayne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura Jayne said...

She stood with her back against the wall
counting the white tiles between
herself and the doorway
twelve

They went in, they came out
She stood with her back against the wall
twelve tiles between her and seeing him

She heard the cry of agony
twelve steps would take her to him
instead she turned away and faced the wall

Twelve steps were not enough this night
to keep her from harming
the one who had tried to save her