Friday January 30th, 2009

The exercise:

Def Poetry Jam Friday would like to present Basikknowledge's Numbers.

Mine:

This is going to be short - we're heading out to a party in less than an hour.

Given the time constraints I thought this would be a nice little history lesson - I've heard the phrase 'running numbers' before but never really knew what it meant.

It turns out it originated from illegal lotteries organized by the mob back when lotteries were outlawed in the States. Number runners were mob lackeys who went around to the various establishments that collected bets and money to gather them up. The mob took their cut and paid out the winners promptly.

The only reason the government didn't like them was because they didn't get a slice of the pie, not because people were being scammed.

But back to the performance - it's a powerful piece with several great images, my favorite being his grandmother sitting behind the TV because her imagination was better than any show.

Alright, I best get a move on. Have a good night.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Basikknowledge is pretty good, thanks for the tip! I actually knew that about the numbers runners, but then I do work in the gambling industry :)

So, Numbers:

You promised me I wouldn't feel
A single thing. It's needed is what you said,
And then I had to steel
myself and keep my screaming in my head.
Your little pills, all blue and white
that should have brought me slumbers
were nothing more that powdered sh**e,
Your imaginary numbers.

[Not sure what your views are on the asterisked word, hence the asterisking. I think it gets the emotion across here. As for the last line, numbers (1,2,3) and numb-ers (anaesthetics) is an old crossword trick]

Unknown said...

I made a little somethin'-somethin' for you. Come get! :-D

http://threadsthataregolden.blogspot.com/2009/01/in-honor-of-this-my-300th-post_31.html

ElshaHawk said...

Thanks to Ana's blog, I came over to visit yours, and I think this is a great idea! It's late now or I'd start typing away..
But I promise to come back and do so!
ElshaHawk

Marc said...

Greg - that's great, I love that. And I have no problem with swearing of the non-excessive variety.

Ana - you rock, thank you :D

Elsha - I'm so glad you stopped by, I hope to see some Daily Writings (trade marked, just now) from you soon!