Wednesday January 14th, 2009

The exercise:

Today's prompt: new tricks.

Mine:

I received a call from the temp agency I'm with this morning for a possible assignment which starts on Monday and goes until the end of March. Things have been pretty slow since before Christmas so I was glad to hear from them.

Unfortunately the position isn't exactly ideal - in fact if I didn't need the money I'd probably have passed on it. But I said I was interested and they passed on my resume and now they want me to come in for an interview tomorrow morning.


Which I'd be totally excited about if it didn't mean I have to teach myself a couple of rather complicated Excel functions before then.

I've been out of school for a few years now, so my brain isn't used to this last minute studying thing. I think I've got a basic grasp on one function and a pretty good understanding of the other so I'll just have to wing the rest. I'm hoping the position doesn't require as much knowledge as was initially implied - you can only bluff your way through so much.

But then again, I'm a writer - making stuff up is what I do every day.

I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"But then again, I'm a writer - making stuff up is what I do every day."

Amen to that, brother.

Good luck with this opportunity. I hope it gives your writing skills a chance to shine. And thanks for writing that comment on my blog. In response, I have to say I think she's got hook, line and sinker in me, so I probably won't be going anywhere just yet. :)

Scriptor Senex said...

You'd think that when you get to my age there are fewer new tricks because one has been around long enough to learn a lot of tricks.

However, it now seems to me that the older you get the more new tricks you have to learn.
signed "Old Dog"

Laura Jayne said...

Jenny knelt on the bed. Her hand were suspended above her. The loop of rope wrapped around her wrists twice then ran up to an eyebolt in the ceiling.

"Ok, you ready?" he said slipping the blindfold over her eyes.

Jenny thought then, perhaps this was one new trick she might have considered passing on learning.

Greg said...

"23 across: St. Rick, perhaps, inspires a conman? (8, two words)" I said out loud. The elderly woman sat next to me on the bus farted again and stared disapprovingly at me. I resisted the urge to flap the newspaper at her, and tried discreetly to breathe through my nose.

"Got it," said the man behind be, playing with a roll-up and twitching.
"Me too!" said the girl he was with. She looked younger than my sister.
I stared at the paper and sucked the nib of my pen thoughtfully until I tasted the ink and realised what I was doing. I was too old to be learning to do the crossword, wasn't I?
"There's a hint there," said the twitchy man again, and grinned disarmingly, daring me to claim that he'd read my mind.

Marc said...

L. - thank you! Sorry for the delayed response.

Ana - thank you and glad to hear that.

Scriptor Senex - yeah, life can be pretty annoying that way.

Laura Jayne - ha ha, cheeky! That made me smile, thank you!

Greg - St. Rick, a farting seatmate, a creepy old man - that truly had it all. I am impressed.