Thursday January 29th, 2009

The exercise:

Hey howdy. Happy Thursday!

I'm feeling a bit random tonight, be warned.

Let's see what comes of using this as the starter: disguises.

Mine:

Transform yourself with a thought,
Become someone else with naught
A care in this crazy world;
Forget the pain you endured -
That belongs to yesterday,
And you are made new today.

What to do with such freedom,
Who will you choose to become?
A thief, a hero, a ghost?
Or will you simply, like most,
Make the same tired mistakes,
But with a mask on your face?

3 comments:

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg said...

Hehe, that's a tart little piece of social commentary there at the end! I like it though, it's briskly witty.

Sorry about the removed comment, but the typo was egregious :(

Let's see what I've got then....

Behind the mask, beneath the skin,
Are hidden things. Your wary grin
Is just another mocking way
To conceal yourself. But today
The paper's torn, the make-up's run
Your disguise is only half begun,
And peeking out are shreds of truth
That fill me with the deepest ruth
For you. I cannot bear to see
You apart from your fantasy.

So I'll adjust my mask and wave goodbye
The show goes on, and so do I.

Marc said...

I totally understand about the typo - I can't stand to leave them alone once I spot them.

I loved the rhythm of your poem, it flowed very nicely.