Tuesday January 20th, 2009

The exercise:

Quite a bit of writing was done today and I'm feeling a little bit drained, creatively speaking. So I'm going to cheat.

The prompt today over at Pictures, Poetry & Prose is politics, what with today being a rather important day down south and... for the world, really. I chose to write mine while watching the inauguration ceremony and thought I'd copy it over here. Quick note about mine - CBC made it clear directly afterward that the stumble during the oath was the fault of the Chief Justice, not Obama's - but I left it as is anyway.

And I'll make the prompt slightly more direct: Obama.

Mine:

I did not vote for you,
Though I wished I could.
There is so much pressure now,
For you to be better than good.

The world is watching,
Your citizens are daring to dream;
But you look so calm,
Like you're ready to jump into this mad stream.

Aretha is here to serenade you,
On this historical day.
All are gathered together,
To hear what you have to say.

The moment is coming,
The time is almost here;
But first your right hand man,
Swears his oath with such great cheer.

One final performance
By the musical masters;
The notes are beautiful,
My heart beats faster and faster.

The words are spoken,
A slight stumble, a show of nerves?
But now it is official,
You have begun to serve.

I wish you luck.
May your dreams come true.
May this raging storm not sweep you under,
And may God watch over you.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Nice one, Marc. There's heartfelt emotion in there, and I particularly like the sixth stanza.

Hope the new job goes well today (you do start today, right?).

And now to the challenge...:

O say can you see?
Barack's come to power,
America's new leader,
Made in these few hours.
A chance to right the wrongs of recent times?

(The acrostic is probably me not trying hard enough, but it's too early for satire or biting political commentary)

[And before I forget, I'm glad you like the pun yesterday.]

Marc said...

Ah, acrostic - the lazy poet's friend. And don't worry, I've written plenty of lazy stuff, but it's still writing I reckon.