Saturday April 1st, 2017

The exercise:

Write a four line poem about: an absence.

It's been an odd week at the bakery. So much stuff to squeeze into the freezer at the end of almost every day.

My best guess as to what's going on is that people left here for spring break but nobody (or at least significantly fewer people) came here for school vacation.

With school back in session next week I guess we'll see how accurate that theory is.

Either way, I am looking forward to a few days off.

Mine:

An absence of customers
Buying what they usually do,
Has left me here wondering:
Just where the hell are you?

2 comments:

Greg said...

I feel there's a subtext to this, but I don't think I have enough context to figure it out :) Still, if everything was as slow as you say, and on a week when you weren't expecting it, maybe I'm reading too much into a simple poem!

An absence
Forgetting is the willful replacement
Of memories with purposeful choice of absence.
My head is full of nothings going nowhere
And my stomach burns with the weight of absinthe.

Marc said...

Greg - I think you were reading too much into it :)

That's a fantastic four line poem. Each pair of lines is top notch, and combined they make for a seriously impressive whole. Well done!